AREAS OF EMPHASIS
- Insurance coverage and declaratory judgment litigation in Texas and nationwide
- Insurance recovery
- Litigation involving alleged bad faith and improper claims handling
- Insurance defense litigation
- Coverage opinions
- Insurance program analysis / risk management
- Insurance regulation
- Complex commercial litigation
- Class action litigation
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Super Lawyers, Top Rated Insurance Coverage Attorney, Super Lawyers, 2021-present
- Texas Top Attorneys, Texas Monthly, 2021-present
- Georgetown University Law School (J.D., 1991)
- Georgetown International Environmental Law Review – Editor, 1990-91
- Georgetown University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1988)
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Member, American Bar Association (Business Law and Tort and Insurance Practice Sections)
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Associate Member, Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc.
- Member, State Bar of Texas (Insurance and Litigation Sections)
- Member, Dallas Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States
- Admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- “An Overview of Contractual Indemnity, Additional Insured Status, and Update on ‘Paid and Incurred’ Statute – Presentation for Client, April 2019
- “Shifting Loss: An Overview of Contractual Indemnity, Additional Insured Status and COI’s”- Presentation for Client, April 2015
- “It’s Your Problem, Not Mine: Effective Risk Transfer from Contract Negotiations to Post-Loss Pursuit of Carriers” – Presentation for City of Dallas, Legal and Risk Management Divisions, June 2014.
- “Ewing Construction Company v. Amerisure: Implications for the Contractual Liability Exclusion” – TIPS Section, Dallas Bar Association, March 2014
- “Texas Supreme Court Reins in Contractual Liability Exclusion on CD Claims”, Claims Journal, www.claimsjournal.com, February 4, 2014.
- “Risk Transfer Vehicles: An Analysis of Certificates of Insurance, Additional Insureds, Contractual Indemnity and Related Issues” – Presentation for City of Dallas, Risk Management and Legal Divisions, February 2012.
- “Shifting Loss: Significant Issues Related to Contractual Indemnity, Additional Insureds and Certificates of Insurance” – Risk and Insurance Management Society, DFW Chapter Luncheon, June 2011.
- “Texas Coverage and Extracontractual Litigation Update” – Presentation for claims officers with insurance carrier client, May 2011.
- “Texas Coverage Law Update” – Presentation for claims officers with insurance carrier client, May 2010.
- D.R. Horton v. Markel: Impact on Duty to Defend and Declaratory Judgment Actions – TIPS Section, Dallas Bar Association, March 2010.
- “The ABC’s of SIRs” – 2009 University of Texas School of Law Insurance Law Institute.